Introduction: The square in Bardejov is the focal point of the historical center of the city. It has a rectangular shape and is built up with a series of former burgher houses with typical gable facades.
The square in Bardejov is the focal point of the historic city center. It has a rectangular shape and is built up with a series of former burgher houses with typical gable facades.
In the middle of the square there is a former town hall from the beginning of the 16th century (1505 - 1509). The exhibition, located in the Gothic-Renaissance town hall, presents the history of Bardejov from 1241 to the 18th century. The most valuable monument of the exhibition is a sculpture from 1520, depicting the crucifixion of Christ. Its authorship is attributed to Master Paul of Levoča.
In the square in building no. 27 there is an exhibition presenting the icons of northern Slovakia. The nature exhibition can be seen in the tenement house No. 3-5 in the neighboring Rhódyho Street.
The most important monument is the Roman Catholic Basilica Minor of St. Egidius (St. Giles), which is located in the northern part of the market. Its construction started in the early fifteenth century, gradually transforming it into a magnificent Gothic basilica with three naves ę. Interesting objects inside are 11 late gothic wing altars from the 15th and 16th centuries, with wood carvings considered the most valuable in Europe.
At the opposite end of the square there is the famous executioner sculpture to commemorate the fact that the town of Bardejov had the right of the sword years ago.
In the eastern and western part of the Market Square, there are numerous historic tenement houses, and in some of them there are gastronomic establishments waiting for tired tourists.