A route designed for:
Assessment of the place:
assessment: 0
Add this place to your route: add

Greek Catholic Church of st. Michael the Archangel in Turzańsk.

Orthodox church of St. Michael the Archangel - a wooden parish Orthodox church (in its history it also served Greek Catholics and Roman Catholics), erected in the years 1801–1803, located in Turzańsk. It belongs to the Sanok deanery of the Przemyśl-Gorlice diocese of the Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church. Included in the Sub-Carpathian Wooden Architecture Trail (on route no. IV: Sanocko-Dukla). In 2013, it was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

The Orthodox Church of st. Michael the Archangel before the war functioned as a Greek Catholic parish church. It was built in the years 1801–1803. In 2013, the church was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

After the displacement of the population until 1961, the church served the Roman Catholic faithful. In 1963, the Lemkos returned to their home village, who, wanting to pray in their native language, accepted an Orthodox priest.

It is an oriented, tripartite, log temple with two sacristy - on the southern and northern side of the presbytery. Planked vertically. The vestibule preceding the narthex is of a columnar-frame structure. A multi-slope roof with a common ridge. The whole is crowned with three apparent turrets. Above the built-in sacristy there are helmets with turrets.

In the presbytery, the nave and the narthex there are eight-bay tented domes, and in the remaining rooms there are flat ceilings. An overhung musical choir with a bulging windowsill. On it, a painting depicting Christ in the Lemko chyża and St. Włodzimierz and St. Olga. The iconostasis comes from the 19th century. The Tsar's gates are openwork in the form of a vine. Side altars from the 19th century. In one of them there is a 20th-century icon of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, which is a curtain icon for the icon of the Mother of God. In the second, the nineteenth-century icon of the Archangel Michael. The icons of Christ the Teaching and The Mother of God in the Hodegetria type and the prazdniki from the iconostasis were stolen and replaced with contemporary copies. An interesting fact is the panorama of mountains painted above the iconostasis.

The belfry standing in the axis of the church is dated to 1817. It is a column-frame structure with walls sloping towards the center, three-story, divided by profiled cornices with eaves. At the top, there is a bell-shaped helmet with an apparent turret. This tower has the reputation of the highest free-standing belfry in the Polish Carpathians.

The church and cemetery are surrounded by a low wall made of fieldstones. In front of the church, a cross is set to commemorate the 1000th anniversary of the baptism of Rus.

There is a legend related to the Turzan church, which says that during a fire of an older temple, once standing on a nearby hill, the icon of the Mother of God flew out through a broken window and fell in the place of the present church. The faithful took it as a sign and built a new temple in the place indicated by the Mother of God.


DW 892 km 29, 38-542 Turzańsk